Sunday 22 July 2012

Proud and extra proud!

Well I'd like to say I've been busy whilst I've been off after my knee op but it's taken until the end of last week to feel normal again, I was awfully tired most of the week. My knee is really getting better amazingly quick, it was a keyhole op so I know it would be fairly quick but it's been a lot quicker than I thought, it's still swollen so I'm not back to normal and I'm certainly not as flexible as normal but I'm getting there. Back to work Tuesday, shame, just as the weather in the UK is set to get gorgeous!!

Anyway I had an idea what I wanted to sew but actually only got one thing done, however I'm super proud of it.

Do you remember this fabric I bought from a vintage fair? It's a beautiful vintage polish cotton, I couldn't have worked with a nicer fabric!


I've been wanting to make this pattern for a while, it's so summery and versatile as I knew with this fabric it would look like a dress when worn together but I can wear it apart with different blouse or trousers/skirt. Obviously I didn't want to add the ric rac as it's too patterned and I also didn't add the pockets for the same reason, although I'm so happy with the outcome I may buy some solid colour cotton and do another set with ric rac and pockets!



And the final result! I'm really happy with it. It's so summery, just in time for our week of summer in the UK!!


I would definitely make this pattern again although as with any sewing I learnt a few lessons as I went along which I'll share as I always think it's useful for other people who sew. I'm short and really I need to alter all patterns accordingly, this means altering the length of the blouse and the skirt, I didn't do this as I cut the pattern out and I wish I had as this would have been an even better fit than it is if I had! 

What I did do this time that I rarely do is I did everything properly. I have sewn for more years than I care to remember but I'm a sloppy, I sew for me, I have never cared about technique or the finish, but I have decided I want to improve as people are starting to ask me to make for them, however I'm not happy with my finish yet, so I'm improving my finish on all my garments, then perhaps I'll start making for others. 

Anyway things I did for this that I don't normally. 

1. The pattern didn't have facings for the collar and armholes and I thought it needed them so I added them and I'm glad I did
2. I've always struggled with hemming fuller skirt so I found this tutorial 



on Gerties Blog for Better Sewing and followed it, it was great and I'm so happy with the result, so much so I'm determined to make more full skirts.

3. I ironed seams at EVERY stage, not just when I had to, preparation and thoroughness in sewing leads to a better garment all round!

Ok so that's what I'm proud of, what am I extra proud of??

I fit back into one of my favourite vintage dresses, a 1950s gold lurex dress, I am chuffed beyond belief, I am overflowing with joy, now I need to go somewhere to wear it again!! It's a little tight still, it could do with being a little looser but I'm in it dammit and that is HUGE for me :o)


Apologies for the slightly blurred photos of my outfit shots, I have no idea why they did that, working with a timer confuses me, I must have pressed something else too!!




21 comments:

Valerie said...

Hello, I can only dream of sewing that well, I am rubbish lol. But I haven't given up. Your gold dress is fab well done you for losing weight, I really need to try, but its just so hard. Oh yes, and when you say 'week of summer' I am assuming you don't mean a whole week at once lol, it is pouring down here :(

Used-to-Bees said...

Well done you -two great results! The extra care in your sewing is bound to have made a difference, especially the facings. And being able to fit in some favourite outfits must be a great boost and inspiration! Enjoy your day off tomorrow and hope the knee continues to heal quickly!
x

Vix said...

You look utterly fabulous, you should be very proud of your achievement with the weight loss! Your skirt and cami are stunning, the fabric is a joy, you are clever! x

Ivy Black said...

Good on ya, my lovely! You look wonderful and you should be chuffed. Your skirt and top are a triumph...and just in time for the sun.xxx

Anonymous said...

I love your hair cut, so cute.

iLiveinmyLab said...

AHHH!!! I just screamed with joy when I saw the gold lurex dress on you! :) That looks FABULOUS!!!!!! I'm so proud of you! Also I'm totally loving the outfit you made! Thanks for the amazing tips too! Wooohoo!

phenolicfanatic said...

Well done on all fronts!!!

Curtise said...

Well done you, for the non-sloppy sewing and for the ongoing eight loss! The outfits are both gorgeous. xxx

Incendiary Blonde said...

Congratulations! Both oufits are super cute!

Miss Magpie said...

FABULOUS!!!! I love the green outfit, I will have to check out the tutorial when I'm at home as i am thinking of making a circle skirt with my elephant fabric - eek!

Unknown said...

You look soooo gorgeous! And of course you have to be proud :) Amazing, that lurex dress. Great! Thanks for the blog! I didn't knew Gertie before... I'm also a sewer, and also a bit sloppy. There's so much and I have to do and to learn, but I'm so impatient ;)

LandGirl1980 said...

I too never read things properly when it comes to dresses. But - i have just started to iron seams! Its a lifesaver! I don't know what I never did it before :)

Lovely new set to wear :)

And you are looking HAWT!

Vintage Christine said...

How I wish I could sew! My husband knows how but I'm not sure he could use a pattern, but who knows. There are so many vintage dresses I'd love to make. You look fantastic!!!!

Kim said...

Great outfit! I can make a cushion cover but that's about it. I'm actually sending my Boy to sewing lesson. I have warned him he may get locked in the cellar and forced to make me dresses heehee!

Looking great in the Lurex dress, yay for joy!

Wendi said...

That lurex dress is fabulous and you look wonderful in it!

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

I'm your newest follower, steered in your direction via Kitty's Vintage Kitsch:)). So happy to be here!!! Your 50s frock is utterly gorgeous, no wonder you're beaming about being able to wear it again! Don't wait for an occasion, wear it to the supermarket coz life's too short:))). Your green frock is superb, I do hope the sunshine returns and you get to wear it a lot more:)) xo

Dolly Cool Clare said...

Wow what fab dresses! So glad you have your sewing mojo back again and yay for being able to fit into favourite clothes again :)

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous dress...I love the fabric and the pattern that you used too...so flattering...it can be really hard to find flattering vintage patterns for us (more shapely) gals. Well done.

Maureen said...

Hi from Chi! Number one, congrats on the 25 lbs - not an easy feat. Number two, the op is behind you now. We are all brainwashed to think we get over things in a flash - guess what - we don't, it takes time. Even with modern anaesthetics we need to recover.

Do you ever get to Albert Road in Portsmouth?

In The Heyday said...

Lovely two peice, and FANTASTIC gold number!! Phoar!!

Robin Seefahrt said...

Hello, you pick lovely fabrics, barkcloth and the like and they are beautiful. I flunked home ec. But I have a machine and serger, patterns and sewing doodads to fit the bill so I'll try again when my sewing room is fixed up. I'll stick to some simple projects like bags and skirts. I already have so many clothes even from 40 years ago when I was in High School still and they fit. Basically my sewing, project room is one big closet. My oldest daughter moved out and I've taken over her room. I'm a collector too

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...