Saturday 8 January 2011

New Year New Start!

I feel like this twice a year, in January and in September, that right lets get this show on the road and get organised feeling. January I know everyone does, September must stem from going back to school, yep still feeling it even at 44!!

Anyway, as you saw in my last post one of my new years resolutions was to sew more. I started really thinking about why I don't, I have fab material, I have the ability, ok I don't always have the time but who does? Yet still I haven't. I hope I've figured it out, my new sewing area which I started to set up in Summer was a disaster, so today I set about starting to get it organised.

First up though, some fabric I've bought in the last 6 months, all at bargain basement prices and I mean bargain basement prices!!

This first one is my favourite as not only is it fabulous & cheap but there is LOADs of it, so lots of options, I will definately make a dress out of it, but what style yet I'm still to decide. The gold is so vibrant in real life, can't believe it's survived so well, it's obviously been stored away, it's definately original and not repro, you can just feel and tell.



There isn't a lot of this next one so I'm just not sure quite what I'm going to do with it, were I thinner I would made a boned strapless top for summer, we'll see, but I couldn't resist, how amazing is that print!


I have a real love of mexican prints, I do have several that I've already made and fabric too, this one is lovely as it's an unusual light green colour and a great print, plus it's a silk type fabric.



This next one is unusual, it's a beautiful print and again there is lots of it, but it's very see through, so it will make a beautiful light summer dress but it will need something underneath otherwise I'll be arrested!!



I love this next one, again there isn't much but it's not a clothes fabric as far as I'm concerned, but it's so beautiful, again it was a steal so I couldn't not buy it, especially with my love of cocktails!! I'll work out what to do with it, in the meantime I'll just love it.



This is just a small selection of what I have and I really need to crack on with sewing so this is what I did today, with before and after shots, eeek! Can you see why this didn't encourage me to sew? To be fair I did start and didn't finish, so it was an ongoing project but who would feel creative in this space?


Horrible huh?


Then suddenly - or rather not so suddenly!!! - it's done!







I still have a way to go but it's a hell of an improvement. As you can see I've got all my material piled up, then the boxes at the bottom contain clothes that are trashed but I want to make patterns from, small pieces of material and a couple of half completed pairs of trousers, bad huh?

I want to put a couple of shelves up above the table and a pin board with ideas etc as well.

I'll take more pictures as I develop the space and tomorrow I'm going to finish my Kindle cover and maybe something else cos I actually want to be in there now!!

14 comments:

LandGirl1980 said...

A very Happy New Year to you! How is you mum doing?

I don't know what I am more envious of. The material, the skill you have, or the dedicated sewing space you have! I have decided it is all 3!

Sarsaparilla said...

Welcome back & Happy New Year, Fiona!

I love all your fabric - but I think that your favorite, the green (or turquoise?) with gold, is also my fave...

Good for you for spiffing up your sewing space so nicely! It must feel good. Hope it'll inspire you to do more sewing...

Say...you and I still need to iron out the details of my giveaway. Shoot me a note at sarsaparilla.antiques@yahoo.com - and we'll get it figured out. Thanks! - Susan

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

Brilliant fabrics. I know it is boring, but could the cocktail one be a cushion? That print would look fab on a sofa (accessoried with your own cocktail, of course).

Dolly Cool Clare said...

How fab are those fabrics? Wow! And I know exactly what you mean about having a tidy workspace. Its all ready to go now so no excuses! Look forward to seeing what you make..

Straight Talking Mama! said...

Landgirl1980 Mum is doing great thanks for asking! It is nice to have a space I admit.

Sarsaparilla - emailed you! Yep it's hard to photo but it's turquoise, the gold is so bright

Pennydreadful - yep I was thinking cushion, however I'm going to save it until I have my dining room back which is the stock room, and turn that into a dining/cocktail room!!

Dolly Cool Clare - Thanks! And you're so right no excuses!!

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Once you get going, you feel better once you get a space organized. I know I do.

Gee that cloth is beautiful! Do you wear halter tops in the summer? Maybe make some with the smaller pieces, or a cloth bag or pillows like someone else said.

Or do what my Mom did and make cloth dolls, then make them clothes!

Glad to hear Mom is doing better!!!

Brook said...

I like the first one A LOT!!! Hurry and make a dress so I can pine over it!

Andi B. Goode said...

Oooh, I love all of these. And look how lovely your sewing area looks all organised and neat! =D
-Andi x

Vix said...

I'm so envious of your wonderful fabric collection! The second one down is my very favorite, perfect for a summery shift dress or a pair of capri pants.
Great job on the sewing room. Isn't it great to accomplish something like that? xxx
PS Was it JB's in Dudley? Used to be a fab venue with all manner of top acts but sadly went bust a couple of years back.

Straight Talking Mama! said...

Ah thanks all! Vix I honestly can't remember, it was a nice old fashioned venue, big stage, bar at the back of the room. It was a looooong time ago!

Gemma said...

Happy New Year darlin'! That see through ish blue fabric with the houses on is utterly fab. And how I envy your sewing room. What colour is the paint you've used in there? It's lovely.
G xx

Straight Talking Mama! said...

thanks Gemma! mmm the colour is a jadish green has to match the carpet already there as couldn't afford to replace the carpet, hate being skint!! Wanted to take the woodchip wallpaper off too but that could have been a disaster! It's a little make do & mend our house :o)

Sara Green said...

Makes me want to organise my sewing area, but my spare room isn't big enough and it's full of my books, and knitting as well!

Rosie Alia said...

What a fabulous new sewing space you have! I need something such as this, but first I need to move so I actually have the space! What a nice little space to work at. And I look forward to seeing posts about your future projects in your lovely new space. xx

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...