Friday 20 August 2010

Rediscovering Vintage Treasures!

During my DIY/sorting stint this summer I've unearthed so much stuff packed away that I had even forgotten I had, mmm I think that is a problem called hoarding, anyhoo....

As it's Friday afternoon and I've had a productive back to work week, I thought I'd share a few pics of some of little treasures I unearthed.

First up is a 1940s microphone, I don't remember where we even bought this but I know in our mind we thought we'd be able to use it onstage with the band at the time, I'm sure we must have plugged it in and surprise suprise it didn't work, still it looks good and I won't be parting with it as it's a useless object but reminds me of a part of my life!


Isn't that smart huh?

Next up is not really a vintage treasure in my eyes but in others I guess it is, it's something from my childhood! As I was born in 1966 I guess something from my childhood is now well and truly considered vintage! It's a puppet from The Magic Roundabout, I guess non-UK viewers will think, what? Here's a link to explain more. Of course UK viewers of a certain age will recognise Florence he he!



She now had pride of place on the bookshelf, no longer stuffed in some cupboard somewhere!!

Next up is a really nice metal wall plate we have had forever we just haven't found anywhere yet to put it up in this house, and it's been stored away for a while, I want it to go back up as it's so unusual and so nice, I've never seen another thing like this before, although I'm sure you guys will prove me wrong, I know they're not common at least!



It has such beautiful texture and colouring doesn't it? But no makers mark it's just stamped England on the back!

I also re-arranged my bookshelves and oh the books I found which I'd forgotten all about, I'm going to do a seperate post about some of my favourites, great sources for home style, clothes, and a bunch of other stuff, in fact it will probably be a range of posts in reality as there is a lot to get through!

So this weekend I might make the curtains for my office, but I'm pretty tired and I have a super busy one next weekend so I might just potter about the house! If I make the curtains, I'll make sure I take pics so you can see!

Have a great weekend everyone!

6 comments:

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

I often try to "play" with my things, move them around, rearrange, pack some, get others out. It's fun to enjoy what we already have.

Love the microphone and the plate. Dad played in a Big Band, and I have some of his drums and smaller instruments. I mean to make up a spot to display them all, and get his pair of Gene Krupa autographed drum sticks framed.

Dolly Cool Clare said...

Your Florence puppet is ace! Ermintrude was my fave :)

Anonymous said...

OH, STM... you're reminiscing over your stowed away goodies makes me philosophical. I love that you move things around and redesign. It's mentally healthy to do this, I think. I love your microphone and had no IDEA you were in a band?! Rock and roll (literally!)

Hugs from Chicago!
D-

Zootsuitmama said...

Those microphones are pure nostalgia. And, works of art! I am the move around Queen! My daughter runs when she sees that look in my eye! "I've been doing this my whole life!"...she says. Ha! Zootsuitmama

Andi B. Goode said...

Ooh, I've always wanted one of those mics! Hehe. And the puppet is cute. I think they did a new version of The Magic Roundabout with computer generated images, didn't they?
-Andi x

Straight Talking Mama! said...

The mike is cute huh? Thanks all, nice to know you all move things around, I didn't think I did but I guess I do, although not very often, we're really only getting this house into some sort of order, why does it take years?

Yes Darlene I had my own band for years, you can find a great pic in a previous post!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...